First Covenant Church is a group of people who love God and believe we are commanded by God in scripture to love our neighbors, whether they be next door or across the world. We believe the whole church is called to be involved in outreach and what God is already doing in the world, each imperfectly but faithfully and humbly using our specific gifts to do justice, love mercy and build relationships where God’s unending love for people is made visible. Outreach takes many different forms. Check out the ways that First Covenant is working in community engagement and mercy and justice ministries and pray about ways that you may get involved.
We are a congregation that is dedicated to the flourishing of the Capitol Hill Neighborhood. We love our neighborhood and we’re proud of our community partnerships with organizations like the Capitol Hill Tool Library and the Capitol Hill Chamber of Commerce, among others. The Summit Building, next door to our sanctuary at 420 E Pike St, is a community space for the vibrant Pike/Pine neighborhood. We envision this space as a place dedicated to the good of the neighborhood, and whether it is a ministry we run or space we provide for other community groups, we envision it as a place where all can flourish. There are several ministries we host in this space.
- Summit Arts - Artists from the church and around the community join together to display their work and celebrate creativity each month in conjunction with the Capitol Hill Art Walk on the second Thursday of each month.
- Craft Night - The first Friday of the month at 6 pm. Makers of all types are welcome to bring their projects and work together. Bring your instruments and jam with the Parking Garage Band too!
- Coffee on the Hill - The fourth Thursday morning of each month. Join us in showing some warm hospitality through coffee and conversation to friends on their way to work or to any other neighbors passing by.
- Journey to Mosaic - Members of First Covenant participate with the Journey to Mosaic class that the Covenant denomination hosts and learn together how to become a more racially reconciled community.
COMPASSION, MERCY, AND JUSTICE
Our church engages in ministries of compassion and justice that can bring healing and reconciliation to a broken world. As we serve and get to know vulnerable individuals and families in our neighborhood, we also seek to be advocates that shape systems and to partner with local and global organizations to care for the hungry and oppressed people of our world. Some of our ongoing compassion, mercy, and justice work and organizational partnerships are listed below.
- Family Shelter - We host a family shelter twice annually in partnership with Mary’s Place, a day center for homeless women and children. We provide the families with transportation, dinner, evening entertainment, overnight safety, and breakfast.
- Community Breakfast - Every Saturday morning we prepare a hot breakfast in our Fellowship Hall for those in need in our community.
- Alcoholics Anonymous - Four different groups meet weekly at our church.
- Food Collection - Throughout the year, we collect food to give to the St. Mary’s Food Pantry
- Sock Drive - Each year around the holidays, we collect new socks for the Operation Nightwatch sock drive.
- Missionary Support - First Covenant Seattle specifically supports four missionary families in the areas of Asia and Latin America and in the country of Japan. On occasion, we take trips to experience and partner with these friends on their mission fields.
- Sharing the Harvest - Each fall we sell $10 bags of apples. Money raised through Sharing the Harvest goes to support The Center for Experimentation and Training in Agriculture in the Central African Republic.
- Covenant World Relief - CWR is the development and disaster response organization of our denomination. We support CWR through targeted giving for specific projects, occasional work trips, and a month long emphasis of and offering to CWR each spring.
For more information about these outreach ministries including information about how to get involved, please don't hesitate to contact our Ministry Resident for Community Outreach, Ellie VerGowe at firstname.lastname@example.org.